At VNS Health Hospice Care, our goal is to ensure that all patients receive compassionate, respectful, high-quality care. The newly renovated Shirley Goodman and Himan Brown Hospice Residence supports hospice patients who don’t have a caregiver at home or whose care needs can no longer be met by their in-home caregivers.
The Hospice Care Team
At the hospice residence, people are cared for by an on-site care team. Members of the team work together to see that your loved one’s last weeks are comfortable so they can enjoy the best possible quality of life. The team includes hospice-trained licensed practical nurses and home health aides who provide around-the-clock assistance and personal care. A nurse manager also continuously evaluates each person’s care needs.
Additional members of the care team include health care professionals and individuals who provide important end-of-life support:
- Physicians and nurses visit regularly for check-ups.
- Social workers, spiritual care and bereavement counselors, and volunteers offer support to patients and families.
Patients at our hospice residence receive the same services as those who remain at home.
Private Rooms with State-of-the-Art Amenities
Located in the Carnegie East House on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the Shirley Goodman and Himan Brown Hospice Residence is the only private hospice residence in Manhattan. It features eight private rooms, including four suites. Each room has a private bath, a kitchenette, and a seating area with comfortable furniture for families and visitors. The residence also features:
- Shared terraces with views of the city skyline or the East River
- Access to the dining room, library, and other community spaces in the Carnegie East House
- Accommodations for overnight stays by family and friends
- TV and wi-fi
In addition to hospice care services, the residence also offers:
- Round-the-clock nursing and personal care under the supervision of a registered nurse
- Three meals a day delivered directly to your loved one in their room
- Housekeeping and laundry service
There are two components to costs when a person is admitted to the Shirley Goodman and Himan Brown Hospice Residence.
Hospice care: Hospice care services (such as all medical care provided by the care team, as well as equipment and supplies) are covered by Medicare, Medicaid, and most private insurance companies.
Room and board: Medicare does not cover room and board costs. They may be covered by:
- Institutional Medicaid
- Some long-term care insurance plans
- Some private or commercial insurance plans
- Self-pay (private pay)